Choosing the best pets for kids can be quite challenging, especially if you are looking for a more exotic animal. Buying your child an exotic pet is a great way to introduce them to the miracles of nature. It is also an excellent opportunity to educate your child on different species of animals. An exotic pet will have your child crooning with delight. However, not all pets are suitable for children.
The reasons for this are pretty obvious: children are oblivious to the dangers that certain exotic pets may pose. After all some exotic animals still harbour their wild instincts and can attack. Below is a list of some pets which are not suitable to children. After that is a list of exotic pets that is most suitable for children.
Not Suitable Exotic Pets for Kids:
1) Scorpions and tarantulas: These animals should only be handled by experts. Small children are curious and playful in nature and will try to touch these creatures. Scorpions and tarantulas both have a very deadly sting and can be fatal to children as well as adults.
2) Poisonous snakes: A poisonous snake will always attack if it is perturbed. Some snakes like spitting cobras can spray venom over a distance of almost 6 to 10 feet. This makes poisonous snakes a huge threat to children. Exotic pet care is all about being prudent.
3) Monkeys: monkeys may seem to be very cute and cuddly, but they are incredibly mischievous. They are also unaware of the repercussions that their actions may have. Often, monkeys fly into a rage and act like hooligans. This makes them unsafe for families with small children.
4) Big cats: Some people have a fascination for big cats. Big cats are very difficult to tame and should not be let within a close range of children.
5) Crocs and alligators: These are extremely unpredictable creatures. They are among the most feared predators on our planet.
Pets which are best suited to children:
1) Rats and mice: These are innocuous little animals. They are rarely known to bite. Children take great pleasure in observing their rapid, funny movements. These pets can also be handled and fed by children. Children must be taught to handle them with care, as they are delicate animals. Teaching kids to respect pets is a crucial element of exotic pet care.
2) Guinea pigs: these are near perfect exotic kids for kids as they are not as delicate as hamsters and also love to be cuddled. They also a longer lifespan than hamsters – the children will grow up by the time the guinea pigs come to the end of their lives and the death will not be as traumatising.
3) Bunnies: Every child dreams of owning a bunny. There are so many different varieties and colours to choose from. Rabbits generally do not bite and like to be touched and cuddled. They have a good lifespan too.
4) Small lizards: These reptiles rarely ever bite. They do not mind crawling upon human bodies for a change. Bearded dragon lizards and leopard geckos are perfect choices.
5) Gerbils: Kids love gerbils because of their high energy. Kids should be advised against picking up the animals by their tails.
Kids must be educated on exotic pet care. Exotic pets are great gifts for kids. It is a pleasure to watch kids and animals interacting with each other.SHARE