Pet lovers understand that it’s never a good start to bring home a regular pet without even trying to get to know the basics of taking care of it. When it comes to pet turtle care, one must bear in mind that turtles are susceptible to developing infection such as salmonella and that without the basic knowledge, this infection can easily spread among those people and other pets with not strong enough immune system. It’s very important to be extra cautious when it talking about pet turtle care. Washing of hands every after touching the turtle is a must. Aside from this information is it also important to take note of additional guidelines in choosing pet turtle and they are the following:
- There a various breeds of turtles. Yes, turtles have a lot of breeds of different temperaments. There are those aggressive and mild. For someone who is a beginner in pet turtle, pick the one that has a mild nature or ask the breeder as to which is a milder pet turtle among others.
- There a mixed breed turtles. Mixing of turtle species can sometimes result to defects and abnormalities so as much as possible avoid buying those that have mixed breed.
- Find a turtle with clear eyes and nose. Having the said characteristics entail that the turtle is in good condition. Also, if it’s evident that the pet is not breathing smoothly, try to avoid buying that turtle because it’s likely that the pet is going through a respiratory illness.
- Look for turtles with hard shells. Shells of healthy turtles are not soft or spongy but they are actually hard, without any holes, patches and cracks.
Pet Turtle Care: The Requirements
Just as discussed earlier in this article, there are a lot of pet turtle types but for the specific information about pet turtle care, it’s best to speak directly with the breeder prior to buying the pet to make sure that the specific needs of the species are being provided for. These needs are the following:
- Natural Habitat. When speaking about pet turtle care, it should be known that they need to be regularly exposed to the heat of the sun during the day but if it’s not possible, a direct lamp with ultraviolet rays in it should do the trick. Turtles also need to bask too so one must provide them with rocks that are partially submerged in the tank that will give them a place to come out of the water whenever they feel like doing so.
- Food. It’s not a proper pet turtle care to have them eat inside the tank because it would only pollute the water and also as a pet owner, you must avoid them from eating such waste in the tank. When it comes to pet turtle care, one is expected to not provide the pet with leftovers as they too require good amount of vitamins and minerals to have them live a healthy life.